Thursday, July 5, 2012

Coaching and Compassion

As a coach I try to be compassionate, to stand with my client in the confusion or lack of clarity of the situation that they find themselves in.  To witness with them.  Not to judge.  To understand what it feels like to be in that position.  I know that that compassion has to start with myself, which is a lifelong journey.

I was thinking of that when I heard about 3 principles for "Living an unfettered life": Don't judge; don't compare; let go of the need to know why.*    I know that I often judge people, and frequently compare my situation to others, which doesn't really get me anywhere, so I try to remember this saying and to aspire to this ideal.  I have ample opportunity to practice this in my personal and my professional life :-)  I don't always get what I want (who does?) and I don't always understand why - which leads to my attempt to "let go".  My endeavor to live up to these 3 principles brings me to the need to have compassion, for myself, for my clients and for the human condition.  Hopefully that makes me a better coach!

*= unknown source

No comments:

Post a Comment